gel(redirected from APF gel)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to APF gel: fluoride application
1. A colloid in which the disperse phase has combined with the dispersion medium to produce a semisolid material, such as a jelly.
2. See gelatin.
3. A jellylike substance used in styling hair.
v. gelled, gel·ling, gels
To become a gel.
1. To apply a gel to (the hair).
2. To take shape or become clear: Plans for the project are finally starting to gel.
1. (Chemistry) a semirigid jelly-like colloid in which a liquid is dispersed in a solid: nondrip paint is a gel.
2. (Hairdressing & Grooming) See hair gel
3. (Theatre) theatre informal See gelatine4
vb, gels, gelling or gelled
4. (Chemistry) to become or cause to become a gel
5. a variant spelling of jell
[C19: by shortening from gelatine]
n., v. gelled, gel•ling. n.
1. a semirigid colloidal dispersion of a solid with a liquid or gas, as jelly or glue. Compare sol 4.
3. to form or become a gel.
[1895–1900; shortening of gelatin]
Past participle: gelled
A colloidal solution which has formed a jelly. The solid particles are arranged as a fine network in the liquid phase.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gel - a colloid in a more solid form than a sol|
colloid - a mixture with properties between those of a solution and fine suspension
hydrogel - a colloidal gel in which water is the dispersion medium
|2.||gel - a thin translucent membrane used over stage lights for color effects|
membrane - a thin pliable sheet of material
|Verb||1.||gel - become a gel; "The solid, when heated, gelled"|
change - undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature; "She changed completely as she grew older"; "The weather changed last night"
|2.||gel - apply a styling gel to; "she mousses her hair"|
gel[dʒɛl] n → gel m inv
gel→ جل gel gelé Gel ζελέ gel geeli gel gel gel ジェル 겔 gel gele żel gel гель gel เจลสำหรับแต่งผม jöle gel tóc 凝胶