aberrant(redirected from Aberrant (role-playing game))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Deviating from what is considered proper or normal: aberrant behavior.
2. Deviating from what is typical for a specified thing: an aberrant form of a gene.
One that is aberrant.
[Latin aberrāns, aberrant-, present participle of aberrāre, to go astray; see aberration.]
ab′er·rance, ab′er·ran·cy n.
Usage Note: Traditionally, aberrant is pronounced with stress on the second syllable (ă-bĕr′ənt). A more recent pronunciation, with stress on the first syllable (ăb′ər-ənt), has begun to compete with the older one. In 2009, 57 percent of the Usage Panel preferred the newer pronunciation and 43 percent the older. Nonetheless, both pronunciations should be considered acceptable.
1. deviating from the normal or usual type, as certain animals from the group in which they are classified
2. behaving in an abnormal or untypical way
3. deviating from truth, morality, etc
[rare before c19: from the present participle of Latin aberrāre to wander away]
abˈerrance, abˈerrancy n
ab•er•rant(əˈbɛr ənt, ˈæb ər-)
1. departing from the right, normal, or usual course.
2. deviating from the ordinary, usual, or normal type; atypical; abnormal.n.
3. an aberrant person or thing.
[1820–30; < Latin aberrant-, s. of aberrāns, present participle of aberrāre to deviate. See ab-, errant]
ab•er′rance, ab•er′ran•cy, n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||aberrant - one whose behavior departs substantially from the norm of a group|
|Adj.||1.||aberrant - markedly different from an accepted norm; "aberrant behavior"; "deviant ideas"|
1. abnormal, odd, strange, extraordinary, curious, weird, peculiar, eccentric, queer, irregular, erratic, deviant, off-the-wall (slang), oddball (informal), anomalous, untypical, wacko (slang), outré His rages and aberrant behaviour worsened.
adj → anomal
aberrant[əˈbɛr/ənt] adj (Bio) (gen) → aberrante
a. aberrante, desviado del curso normal; anómalo.