Abydos(redirected from Abidos)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Abidos: Abydos
1. An ancient town of Asia Minor on the Hellespont in modern-day Turkey. It is the legendary home of Leander, who swam nightly across the strait to his lover Hero.
2. An ancient city of southern Egypt on the Nile River northwest of Thebes. One of the oldest Egyptian cities, it was a religious center for the worship of Osiris and a burial site for the kings of the earliest dynasties.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) an ancient town in central Egypt: site of many temples and tombs
2. (Placename) an ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles (Hellespont): scene of the legend of Hero and Leander
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an ancient ruined city in central Egypt, near Thebes: temples and necropolis.
2. an ancient town in NW Asia Minor, at the narrowest part of the Hellespont.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Abydos - an ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles; scene of the legend of Hero and Leander|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.