acolyte(redirected from Acolytes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A person who assists the celebrant in the performance of liturgical rites.
2. A devoted follower or attendant.
[Middle English acolit, from Old French, from Medieval Latin acolytus, from Greek akolouthos, attendant; see anacoluthon.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a follower or attendant
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity an officer who attends or assists a priest
[C16: via Old French and Medieval Latin from Greek akolouthos a follower]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an altar attendant in public worship; altar boy.
2. any attendant, assistant, or follower.
[1275–1325; Middle English< Medieval Latin acolytus < Greek akólouthos follower, attendant]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||acolyte - someone who assists a priest or minister in a liturgical service; a cleric ordained in the highest of the minor orders in the Roman Catholic Church but not in the Anglican Church or the Eastern Orthodox Churches|
altar boy - a boy serving as an acolyte
clergyman, man of the cloth, reverend - a member of the clergy and a spiritual leader of the Christian Church
thurifer - an acolyte who carries a thurible
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. follower, fan, supporter, pupil, convert, believer, admirer, backer, partisan, disciple, devotee, worshipper, apostle, cohort (chiefly U.S.), fan club (informal), adherent, henchman, habitué, votary To his acolytes, he is known simply as 'The Boss'.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
acolyte[ˈækəʊlaɪt] n (Rel) (liter) → accolito
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995