adamantine(redirected from Adamantine spar)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
ad·a·man·tine(ăd′ə-măn′tēn′, -tīn′, -tĭn)
1. Made of or resembling adamant.
2. Having the hardness or luster of a diamond.
3. Unyielding; inflexible: "If there is one dominant trait that emerges from this account, it is adamantine willpower" (Eugene Linden).
1. very hard; unbreakable or unyielding
2. having the lustre of a diamond
ad•a•man•tine(ˌæd əˈmæn tin, -tɪn, -taɪn)
1. utterly unyielding or firm; hard.
2. like a diamond in luster.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||adamantine - consisting of or having the hardness of adamant|
|2.||adamantine - having the hardness of a diamond |
hard - resisting weight or pressure
|3.||adamantine - impervious to pleas, persuasion, requests, reason; "he is adamant in his refusal to change his mind"; "Cynthia was inexorable; she would have none of him"- W.Churchill; "an intransigent conservative opposed to every liberal tendency"|
inflexible - incapable of change; "a man of inflexible purpose"
Firmly, often unreasonably immovable in purpose or will:
adamant, brassbound, die-hard, grim, implacable, incompliant, inexorable, inflexible, intransigent, iron, obdurate, relentless, remorseless, rigid, stubborn, unbendable, unbending, uncompliant, uncompromising, unrelenting, unyielding.
Idiom: stubborn as a mule.