Aden(redirected from Aden, Yemen)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A former British colony and protectorate of southern Arabia, part of South Yemen (now Yemen) since 1967.
2. A city of southern Yemen on a peninsula projecting into the Gulf of Aden. One of the chief ports of southern Arabia since ancient times, it became a major trading and refueling station after the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869. Aden was the capital of South Yemen from 1967 until 1990.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) the main port and commercial capital of Yemen, on the N coast of the Gulf of Aden, an arm of the Indian Ocean at the entrance to the Red Sea: capital of South Yemen until 1990: formerly an important port of call on shipping routes to the East. Pop: 584 000 (2005 est)
2. (Placename) a former British colony and protectorate on the S coast of the Arabian Peninsula: became part of South Yemen in 1967, now part of Yemen. Area: 195 sq km (75 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
A•den(ˈɑd n, ˈeɪd n)
1. the economic capital of the Republic of Yemen, a seaport on the Gulf of Aden. 318,000.
2. a former British colony and protectorate on the Gulf of Aden, in SW Arabia: became People's Democratic Republic of Yemen in 1967; since 1990 part of the Republic of Yemen.
3. Gulf of, an arm of the Arabian Sea between the E tip of Africa and the S coast of Arabia.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Aden - an important port of Yemen; located on the Gulf of Aden; its strategic location has made it a major trading center of southern Arabia since ancient times|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
the Gulf of Aden → le Golfe d'Aden
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Aden nt; Gulf of Aden → Golf m → von Aden
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995