Adonis(redirected from Adonis (mythology))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Greek Mythology A strikingly beautiful youth loved by Aphrodite, who transformed the drops of his blood into anemones after he was killed by a boar.
2. often adonis A handsome young man.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth a handsome youth loved by Aphrodite. Killed by a wild boar, he was believed to spend part of the year in the underworld and part on earth, symbolizing the vegetative cycle
2. a handsome young man
[C16: from Latin, via Greek Adōnis from Phoenician adōni my lord, a title of the god Tammuz; related to Hebrew Adonai]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
A•don•is(əˈdɒn ɪs, əˈdoʊ nɪs)
1. a youth of Greek myth, slain by a wild boar, but brought back to life by Zeus and permitted to divide his time every year between Persephone and Aphrodite.
2. a very handsome young man.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adonis - any handsome young man|
|2.||Adonis - annual or perennial herbs |
magnoliid dicot genus - genus of dicotyledonous flowering plants regarded as among the most primitive of extant angiosperms
|3.||Adonis - (Greek mythology) a handsome youth loved by both Aphrodite and Persephone; "when Adonis died Zeus decreed that he should spend winters in the underworld with Persephone and spend summers with Aphrodite"|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Adonis[əˈdəʊnɪs] N → Adonis
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Myth, fig) → Adonis m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Adonis[əˈdəʊnɪs] n → Adone m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995