aegis(redirected from Aegis (album))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
protection; support; sponsorship; auspices: The fundraising event was under the aegis of the Literary Arts Society.
Not to be confused with:
ages – epochs, eras, periods: Human nature has not changed a great deal throughout the ages.
ae·gisalso e·gis (ē′jĭs)
1. Protection: a child whose welfare is now under the aegis of the courts.
2. Sponsorship; patronage: a concert held under the aegis of the parents' association.
3. Guidance, direction, or control: "the Mamelukes, the warrior caste that ruled Egypt under the distant aegis of the Turkish sultan" (David A. Bell).
4. Greek Mythology The goatskin shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena. Athena's shield carried at its center the head of Medusa.
[Latin, from Greek aigis, goatskin, skin shield, aegis, from aix, aig-, goat.]
1. sponsorship or protection; auspices (esp in the phrase under the aegis of)
2. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth the shield of Zeus, often represented in art as a goatskin
[C18: from Latin, from Greek aigis shield of Zeus, perhaps related to aig-, stem of aix goat]
or e•gis(ˈi dʒɪs)
1. sponsorship; auspices: a concert under the aegis of the Women's Club.
2. the shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena, bearing at its center the head of the Gorgon.
3. protection; support: under the imperial aegis.
[1695–1705; < Latin < Greek aigís]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||aegis - kindly endorsement and guidance; "the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"|
|2.||aegis - armor plate that protects the chest; the front part of a cuirass|
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
body armor, body armour, cataphract, coat of mail, suit of armor, suit of armour - armor that protects the wearer's whole body
plastron - a metal breastplate that was worn under a coat of mail
under the aegis of → sous l'égide de