simplex(redirected from Affine simplex)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Consisting of or marked by only one part or element.
2. Of or relating to a telecommunications system in which only one message can be sent in either direction at one time.
n. pl. sim·plex·es or sim·pli·ces (-plĭ-sēz′)
1. Mathematics A Euclidean geometric spatial element having the minimum number of boundary points, such as a line segment in one-dimensional space, a triangle in two-dimensional space, or a tetrahedron in three-dimensional space.
2. Linguistics A word that has no affixes and is not part of a compound; a simple word.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Telecommunications) permitting the transmission of signals in only one direction in a radio circuit, etc. Compare duplex
n, pl simplexes or simplicia (sɪmˈplɪʃə)
1. (Linguistics) linguistics a simple not a compound word
2. (Mathematics) geometry the most elementary geometric figure in Euclidean space of a given dimension; a line segment in one-dimensional space or a triangle in two-dimensional space
[C16: from Latin: simple, literally: one-fold, from sim- one + plex, from plicāre to fold; compare duplex]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. consisting of or characterized by a single element; simple.
2. of or designating a telecommunications system permitting communication in only one direction at a time.
[1585–95; < Latin: having a single layer, literally, one-fold]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||simplex - allowing communication in only one direction at a time, or in telegraphy allowing only one message over a line at a time; "simplex system"|
telecom, telecommunication - (often plural) systems used in transmitting messages over a distance electronically
unidirectional - operating or moving or allowing movement in one direction only; "a unidirectional flow"; "a unidirectional antenna"; "a unidirectional approach to a problem"
|2.||simplex - having only one part or element; "a simplex word has no affixes and is not part of a compound--like `boy' compared with `boyish' or `house' compared with `houseboat'"|
simple - having few parts; not complex or complicated or involved; "a simple problem"; "simple mechanisms"; "a simple design"; "a simple substance"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n (Ling) → Simplex nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007