sleeping sickness(redirected from African trypanosomaiasis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to African trypanosomaiasis: Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, West African sleeping sickness, Human African trypanosomiasis
1. An often fatal, endemic infectious disease occurring in sub-Saharan Africa, caused by either of two trypanosomes (Trypanosoma brucei subsp. gambiense or T. brucei subsp. rhodesiense) transmitted by tsetse flies and characterized by fever, severe headache, and lymph node swelling in the early stages, followed by extreme weakness, sleepiness, and deep coma. Also called African sleeping sickness, African trypanosomiasis.
2. See encephalitis lethargica.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pathology) Also called: African sleeping sickness an African disease caused by infection with protozoans of the genus Trypanosoma, characterized by fever, wasting, and sluggishness
2. (Pathology) Also called (esp formerly): sleepy sickness an epidemic viral form of encephalitis characterized by extreme drowsiness. Technical name: encephalitis lethargica
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also called trypanosomiasis. an infectious, usu. fatal disease of Africa, characterized by wasting and progressive lethargy, and caused by a trypanosome carried by the tsetse fly.
2. a viral disease affecting the brain, characterized by apathy, sleepiness, extreme muscular weakness, and impairment of vision.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An often fatal disease of humans and animals in tropical Africa, causing fever and extreme sluggishness. It is caused by infection with protozoans that are spread by the bite of the tsetse fly.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sleeping sickness - an encephalitis that was epidemic between 1915 and 1926; symptoms include paralysis of the extrinsic eye muscle and extreme muscular weakness|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
sleeping sicknessn → malattia del sonno
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. enfermedad del sueño, dolencia aguda endémica de áfrica que se manifiesta con fiebre, letargo, escalofríos, pérdida de peso y debilidad general, causada por un protozoo transmitido por la picadura de la mosca tsetsé.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012