dogfight(redirected from Air to air combat)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A violent fight between or as if between dogs.
b. An illegal, organized fight between dogs, arranged for spectator entertainment and betting.
2. An aerial battle between fighter planes.
v. dog·fought, dog·fight·ing, dog·fights
1. To arrange illegal dogfights.
2. To engage in a dogfight.
To engage in a dogfight with.
1. (Military) close quarters combat between fighter aircraft
2. any rough violent fight
n., v. -fought, -fight•ing. n.
1. a violent fight between dogs.
2. combat between enemy aircraft.
3. any rough-and-tumble physical battle.v.t.
4. to engage in a dogfight with.v.i.
5. to engage in a dogfight.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dogfight - a fiercely disputed contest; "their rancor dated from a political dogfight between them"; "a real dogfight for third place"; "a prolonged dogfight over their rival bids for the contract"|
|2.||dogfight - disorderly fighting|
|3.||dogfight - an aerial engagement between fighter planes|
|4.||dogfight - a violent fight between dogs (sometimes organized illegally for entertainment and gambling)|
|Verb||1.||dogfight - arrange for an illegal dogfight|
|2.||dogfight - engage in an aerial battle with another fighter plane|