Akan(redirected from Akan (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Akan or A·kans
1. A Kwa language spoken in parts of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire whose two main varieties are Fante and Twi.
2. A member of a people of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire, including the Fante and the Twi.
npl -kan or -kans
1. (Peoples) a member of a people of Ghana and the E Côte d'Ivoire
2. (Languages) the language of this people, having two chief dialects, Fanti and Twi, and belonging to the Kwa branch of the Niger-Congo family
n., pl. A•kans, (esp. collectively) A•kan.
1. a Kwa language of S Ghana.
2. a subdivision of the Kwa language family that includes Akan and related languages of Ghana, the Ivory Coast, and Togo.
3. a speaker of the Akan language or languages.