Akan(redirected from Akan (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Akan or A·kans
1. A Kwa language spoken in parts of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire whose two main varieties are Fante and Twi.
2. A member of a people of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire, including the Fante and the Twi.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -kan or -kans
1. (Peoples) a member of a people of Ghana and the E Côte d'Ivoire
2. (Languages) the language of this people, having two chief dialects, Fanti and Twi, and belonging to the Kwa branch of the Niger-Congo family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. A•kans, (esp. collectively) A•kan.
1. a Kwa language of S Ghana.
2. a subdivision of the Kwa language family that includes Akan and related languages of Ghana, the Ivory Coast, and Togo.
3. a speaker of the Akan language or languages.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.