Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of southwest Georgia on the Flint River southeast of Columbus. It is an industrial and processing center in a pecan- and peanut-growing area.
2. The capital (since 1797) of New York, in the eastern part of the state on the west bank of the Hudson River at the head of deep-water navigation. The early 17th-century Dutch settlement Fort Orange was renamed Albany when the English took control in 1664.
1. (Placename) a city in E New York State, on the Hudson River: the state capital. Pop: 93 919 (2003 est)
2. (Placename) a river in central Canada, flowing east and northeast to James Bay. Length: 982 km (610 miles)
3. (Placename) a port in southwest Western Australia: founded as a penal colony. Pop: 22 415 (2001)
Al•ba•ny(ˈɔl bə ni)
1. the capital of New York, in the E part, on the Hudson. 103,564.
2. a city in SW Georgia. 83,540.
3. a river in central Canada, flowing E from W Ontario to James Bay. 610 mi. (980 km) long.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Albany - state capital of New York; located in eastern New York State on the west bank of the Hudson river|
|2.||Albany - a town in southwest Georgia; processing center for peanuts and pecans|