Alexandria(redirected from Alexandria, Virginia)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of northern Egypt on the Mediterranean Sea at the western tip of the Nile Delta. It was founded by Alexander the Great in 332 bc and became a repository of Jewish, Arab, and Hellenistic culture famous for its extensive libraries. Its pharos (lighthouse) was one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
2. A city of central Louisiana on the Red River northwest of Baton Rouge. The original city was destroyed by Union troops in May 1864 during the Civil War.
3. An independent city of northern Virginia on the Potomac River opposite Washington, DC. Primarily a residential suburb of the capital, the city has many historic buildings. George Washington helped lay out the streets in 1749.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Placename) the chief port of Egypt, on the Nile Delta: cultural centre of ancient times, founded by Alexander the Great (332 bc). Pop: 3 760 000 (2005 est). Arabic name: El Iskandariyah
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Al•ex•an•dri•a(ˌæl ɪgˈzæn dri ə, -ˈzɑn-)
1. a seaport in N Egypt, in the Nile delta: founded in 332 B.C. by Alexander the Great: ancient center of learning. 2,917,000.
2. a city in NE Virginia, S of the District of Columbia. 117,586.
3. a city in central Louisiana, on the Red River. 50,180.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Alexandria - a town in Louisiana on the Red River|
|2.||Alexandria - the chief port of Egypt; located on the western edge of the Nile delta on the Mediterranean Sea; founded by Alexander the Great; the capital of ancient Egypt|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Alexandria[ˌælɪgˈzɑːndrɪə] N → Alejandría f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Alexandria[ˌælɪgˈzændrɪə] n → Alessandria (d'Egitto)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995