Areopagus(redirected from Alirrothios)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
The highest judicial and legislative council of ancient Athens.
1. (Placename) the hill to the northwest of the Acropolis in Athens
2. (Historical Terms) (in ancient Athens) the judicial council whose members (Areopagites) met on this hill
3. (Law) (in ancient Athens) the judicial council whose members (Areopagites) met on this hill
4. (Law) literary any high court
[via Latin from Greek Areiopagus, contracted from Areios pagos, hill of Ares]
Ar•e•op•a•gus(ˌær iˈɒp ə gəs)
1. a hill in Athens, Greece, W of the Acropolis.
2. the supreme tribunal of ancient Athens that met on this hill.
[< Latin < Greek Áreios págos hill of Ares]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Areopagus - a hill to the to the west of the Athenian acropolis where met the highest governmental council of ancient Athens and later a judicial court|
|2.||Areopagus - the highest governmental assembly in ancient Athens (later a judicial court)|
assembly - a group of persons who are gathered together for a common purpose
Areopagite - a member of the council of the Areopagus