allies(redirected from Allied forces)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. al·lied, al·ly·ing, al·lies
1. To place in a friendly association, as by treaty: Italy allied itself with Germany during World War II.
2. To unite or connect in a personal relationship, as in friendship or marriage.
To enter into an alliance: Several tribes allied to fend off the invaders.
n. (ăl′ī, ə-lī′)pl. al·lies
1. One that is allied with another, especially by treaty: entered the war as an ally of France.
a. One in helpful association with another: legislators who are allies on most issues. See Synonyms at partner.
b. An animal that cooperates with another animal of the same species in an alliance.
a. The nations allied against the Central Powers of Europe during World War I. They were Russia, France, Great Britain, and later many others, including the United States.
b. The nations, primarily Great Britain, France, the Soviet Union, and the United States, allied against the Axis during World War II.
[Middle English allien, from Old French alier, from Latin alligāre, to bind to; see alloy.]
the plural of ally
1. (Historical Terms) (in World War I) the powers of the Triple Entente (France, Russia, and Britain) together with the nations allied with them
2. (Historical Terms) (in World War II) the countries that fought against the Axis. The main Allied powers were Britain and the Commonwealth countries, the US, the Soviet Union, France, China, and Poland. See also Axis
al•lies(ˈæl aɪz, əˈlaɪz)
1. pl. of ally.
2. (cap.) (in World War I) the nations that fought against the Central Powers: Great Britain, France, Russia, and the nations later allied with them, as Japan, Italy, and, loosely, the U.S.
3. (cap.) (in World War II) the nations that fought against the Axis: Great Britain, the U.S., the Soviet Union, and others.
Alliesa group of nations allied against another nation or group of nations.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Allies - the alliance of nations that fought the Axis in World War II and which (with subsequent additions) signed the charter of the United Nations in 1945|
|2.||Allies - in World War I the alliance of Great Britain and France and Russia and all the other nations that became allied with them in opposing the Central Powers|
|3.||allies - an alliance of nations joining together to fight a common enemy|
pl (Hist) the Allies → die Alliierten pl