Alsatian(redirected from Alsation)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Alsation: Alsatian dog
Of or relating to Alsace or to its inhabitants or culture.
a. A native or inhabitant of Alsace.
b. A person of Alsatian ancestry.
2. Chiefly British A German shepherd.
1. (Breeds) Officially called: German shepherd or German shepherd dog a large wolflike breed of dog often used as a guard or guide dog and by the police
2. (Placename) a native or inhabitant of Alsace
3. (Historical Terms) (in the 17th century) a criminal or debtor who took refuge in the Whitefriars area of London
(Placename) of or relating to Alsace or its inhabitants
1. of or pertaining to Alsace or its inhabitants.n.
2. a native or inhabitant of Alsace.
3. Chiefly Brit. German shepherd.
[1685–95; < Medieval Latin Alsati(a) Alsace + -an1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Alsatian - a native or inhabitant of Alsace|
|2.||alsatian - breed of large shepherd dogs used in police work and as a guide for the blind|
|Adj.||1.||Alsatian - of or relating to or characteristic of Alsace or its inhabitants|