alt(redirected from Alt (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
The Alt key.
Pitched in the first octave above the treble staff; high.
1. The first octave above the treble staff.
2. A note or tone in the alt octave.
1. Espousing or reflecting values different from those of the establishment or of mainstream culture. Often used in combination: alt-rock music; an alt-weekly newspaper.
2. Existing outside traditional or established institutions or systems. Often used in combination: alt-fuels; an alt-lifestyle.
[Short for alternative.]
1. (Classical Music) (esp of vocal music) high in pitch
2. (Classical Music) of or relating to the octave commencing with the G above the top line of the treble staff
(Classical Music) in alt in the octave directly above the treble staff
[C16: from Provençal, from Latin altus high, deep]