anvil(redirected from Amboss)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A heavy block of iron or steel with a smooth, flat top on which metals are shaped by hammering.
b. Something resembling an anvil, as in shape or function.
2. The fixed jaw in a set of calipers against which an object to be measured is placed.
3. Anatomy See incus.
1. (Metallurgy) a heavy iron or steel block on which metals are hammered during forging
2. any part having a similar shape or function, such as the lower part of a telegraph key
3. (Mechanical Engineering) the fixed jaw of a measurement device against which the piece to be measured is held
4. (Anatomy) anatomy the nontechnical name for incus
[Old English anfealt; related to Old High German anafalz, Middle Dutch anvilte; see on, felt2]
1. a heavy iron block with a smooth face, frequently of steel, on which heated metals are hammered into desired shapes.
2. anything having a similar form or use.
3. the fixed jaw in certain measuring instruments.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||anvil - a heavy block of iron or steel on which hot metals are shaped by hammering|
block - a solid piece of something (usually having flat rectangular sides); "the pyramids were built with large stone blocks"
|2.||anvil - the ossicle between the malleus and the stapes|
auditory ossicle - ossicles of the middle ear that transmit acoustic vibrations from the eardrum to the inner ear
anvil[ˈænvɪl] N → yunque m
anvil[ˈænvɪl] n → enclume f
n → Amboss m (also Anat)
anvil[ˈænvɪl] n → incudine f
a block, usually of iron, on which metal objects (eg horse-shoes) are hammered into shape. the blacksmith's anvil. aambeeld سِنْدان наковалня bigorna kovadlina der Amboß ambolt αμόνιyunque alasi سندان alasin enclumeסדן निहाई nakovanj üllő landasan steðji incudine 鉄床 모루 priekalas (kalēja) lakta andas aambeeldamboltkowadło سندان bigorna nicovală наковальня nákova nakovalo nakovanj städ ทั่งตีเหล็ก örs 鐵砧 ковадло سندان ، اہرن ، پدام cái đe 铁砧