ephemeris(redirected from American Ephemeris and Nautical Almanac)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to American Ephemeris and Nautical Almanac: Astronomical Almanac
n. pl. eph·e·mer·i·des (ĕf′ə-mĕr′ə-dēz′)
A table giving the coordinates of a celestial body at a number of specific times during a given period.
[Late Latin ephēmeris, from Greek, diary, from ephēmeros, daily; see ephemeral.]
n, pl ephemerides (ˌɛfɪˈmɛrɪˌdiːz)
1. (Astronomy) a table giving the future positions of a planet, comet, or satellite
2. (Astronomy) an annual publication giving the positions of the sun, moon, and planets during the course of a year, information concerning eclipses, astronomical constants, etc
3. (Library Science & Bibliography) obsolete a diary or almanac
[C16: from Latin, from Greek: diary, journal; see ephemeral]
e•phem•er•is(ɪˈfɛm ər ɪs)
n., pl. e•phe•mer•i•des (ˌɛf əˈmɛr ɪˌdiz)
1. a table showing the positions of a heavenly body on a number of dates in a regular sequence.
2. an astronomical almanac containing such tables.
3. Archaic. an almanac or calendar.
[1545–55; < Latin ephēmeris day book, diary < Greek ephēmerís diary, account book]
an astronomical almanac giving, as an aid to the astronomer and navigator, the locations of celestial bodies for each day of the year.See also: Almanacs
A table that shows the coordinates of a celestial body at various specific times.