Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. a malleable ductile metallic element having a characteristic reddish brown color: used in large quantities as an electrical conductor and in the manufacture of alloys, as brass and bronze. Symbol: Cu; at. wt.: 63.54; at. no.: 29; sp. gr.: 8.92 at 20°C.
2. a metallic reddish brown.
3. a coin composed of copper or bronze.
4. any of several butterflies of the family Lycaenidae, as Lycaena hypophleas (American copper), having copper-colored wings spotted and edged with black.
5. Brit. a large kettle, as for cooking.v.t.
6. to cover, coat, or sheathe with copper.
[before 1000; Middle English coper, Old English coper, copor (compare Old High German kupfar, Old Norse koparr) < Late Latin cuprum, for Latin (aes) Cyprium (metal) of Cyprus]
[1840–50; perhaps cop1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||American copper - common copper butterfly of central and eastern North America|
genus Lycaena, Lycaena - type genus of the Lycaenidae; small slender butterflies with upper surface of wings usually metallic blue or green or copper
copper - any of various small butterflies of the family Lycaenidae having coppery wings