protectorate(redirected from Amical protection)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
a. A relationship of protection and partial control assumed by a superior power over a dependent country or region.
b. The protected country or region.
a. The government, office, or term of a protector.
b. The government of England under Oliver Cromwell and his son Richard, ruling as Lord Protector of the Commonwealth.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. a territory largely controlled by but not annexed to a stronger state
b. the relation of a protecting state to its protected territory
2. (Historical Terms) the office or period of office of a protector
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the office or period of office of a protector
pro•tec•tor•ate(prəˈtɛk tər ɪt)
1. the relation of a strong state toward a weaker state or territory that it protects and partly controls.
2. a state or territory so protected.
3. the office, or the term of office, of a protector.
4. the government of a protector.
5. (cap.) the period (1653–59) when the Cromwells governed England.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||protectorate - a state or territory partly controlled by (but not a possession of) a stronger state but autonomous in internal affairs; protectorates are established by treaty|