cleft(redirected from Anal cleft)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
A past tense and a past participle of cleave1.
1. Divided; split.
2. Botany Having indentations that extend about halfway to the center, as in certain leaves.
1. A crack, crevice, or split.
2. A split or indentation between two parts, as of the chin.
the past tense and a past participle of cleave1
1. (Geological Science) a fissure or crevice
2. an indentation or split in something, such as the chin, palate, etc
3. split; divided
4. (Botany) (of leaves) having one or more incisions reaching nearly to the midrib
[Old English geclyft (n); related to Old High German kluft tongs, German Kluft gap, fissure; see cleave1]
1. a space or opening made by cleavage; a split.
2. a division formed by cleaving.
3. a hollow area or indentation: a chin with a cleft.
[1300–50; Middle English clift, Old English (ge)clyft split, cracked, c. Old High German, Old Norse kluft; akin to cleave2]
1. a pt. and pp. of cleave 2.adj.
2. cloven; split; divided.
3. (of plant parts, as a leaf) having divisions that extend more than halfway to the midrib or base.
Clefta group of stars [modern].
Past participle: clefted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cleft - a split or indentation in something (as the palate or chin)|
|2.||cleft - a long narrow opening |
chap - a crack in a lip caused usually by cold
chink - a narrow opening as e.g. between planks in a wall
crevasse - a deep fissure
fatigue crack - a crack in metal resulting from metal fatigue
faulting, geological fault, fracture, break, fault, shift - (geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other; "they built it right over a geological fault"; "he studied the faulting of the earth's crust"
opening, gap - an open or empty space in or between things; "there was a small opening between the trees"; "the explosion made a gap in the wall"
rift - a narrow fissure in rock
slit - a narrow fissure
split - a lengthwise crack in wood; "he inserted the wedge into a split in the log"
|Adj.||1.||cleft - having one or more incisions reaching nearly to the midrib|
compound - composed of more than one part; "compound leaves are composed of several lobes; "compound flower heads"
cleftpret, ptp of cleave1
adj → gespalten; a cleft chin → ein Kinn nt → mit Grübchen; to be in a cleft stick → in der Klemme sitzen (inf)
n → Spalte f, → Kluft f (geh); (in chin) → Grübchen nt; (in forehead) → Senkrecht- or Skeptikerfalte f; (fig) → Spaltung f, → Kluft f
n → Hasenscharte f
n → Gaumenspalte f, → Wolfsrachen m
an opening made by splitting. a cleft in the rocks. kloof شِق،شِق، صَدْع цепнатина fissura trhlina, rozsedlina die Spalte kløft; spalte σχισμήhendidura, grieta lõhe شکاف halkeama fissureבקיע दरार pukotina, raspuklima szakadék celah sprunga fenditura 裂け目 갈라진 틈 plyšys plaisa rekahan spleetkløft, spalteszczelina سوراخ fissura fisură расщелина trhlina razpoka rascep klyfta, spricka รอยแยก çatlak, yarık 裂縫 тріщина, розколина توڑ کر دو ٹکڑے کرنا ، اختلاف khe 裂缝
n. fisura, abertura alargada.