anastomosis(redirected from Anastomasis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. a·nas·to·mo·ses (-sēz)
1. The connection of separate parts of a branching system to form a network, as of leaf veins, blood vessels, or a river and its branches.
2. Medicine The surgical connection of separate or severed tubular hollow organs to form a continuous channel, as between two parts of the intestine.
[Late Latin anastomōsis, from Greek, outlet, from anastomoun, to furnish with a mouth : ana-, ana- + stoma, mouth.]
a·nas′to·mot′ic (-mŏt′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ses (-siːz)
1. (Anatomy) a natural connection between two tubular structures, such as blood vessels
2. (Surgery) the surgical union of two hollow organs or parts that are normally separate
3. (Botany) the separation and rejoining in a reticulate pattern of the veins of a leaf or of branches
[C16: via New Latin from Greek: opening, from anastomoun to equip with a mouth, from stoma mouth]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a•nas•to•mo•sis(əˌnæs təˈmoʊ sɪs)
n., pl. -ses (-sēz).
1. interconnection between parts of any branching system, as between blood vessels, veinlets in a leaf, or branches of a stream.
2. a joining of two organs or spaces normally not connected.
a•nas′to•mose`, v.t., v.i. -mosed, -mos•ing.
a•nas•to•mot•ic (əˌnæs təˈmɒt ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
connection between parts that have branched off from each other at some earlier point. — anastomotic, adj.See also: Biology
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Surgery to join two tube-like organs, such as pieces of intestine.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||anastomosis - a natural or surgical joining of parts or branches of tubular structures so as to make or become continuous|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.