Anatolian(redirected from Anatolians)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Anatolians: Anatolian Shepherd Dog
1. Of or relating to Anatolia or its people, language, or culture.
2. Of or relating to a branch of the Indo-European language family that includes Hittite and other extinct languages of ancient Anatolia.
a. A native or inhabitant of Anatolia.
b. A person of Anatolian ancestry.
2. The Anatolian languages.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of or relating to Anatolia or its inhabitants
2. (Languages) denoting, belonging to, or relating to an ancient family of languages related to the Indo-European family and including Hittite
3. (Languages) this family of languages, sometimes regarded as a branch of Indo-European
4. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Anatolia
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
An•a•to•li•an(ˌæn əˈtoʊ li ən)
1. of or pertaining to Anatolia or Anatolians.
2. of or pertaining to Anatolian.n.
3. a native or inhabitant of Anatolia.
4. a language family of ancient Anatolia, a branch of Indo-European, that includes Hittite, Luwian, Lycian, and Lydian.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Anatolian - an extinct branch of the Indo-European family of languages known from inscriptions and important in the reconstruction of Proto-Indo European|
Indo-European language, Indo-Hittite, Indo-European - the family of languages that by 1000 BC were spoken throughout Europe and in parts of southwestern and southern Asia
Hittite - the language of the Hittites and the principal language of the Anatolian group of languages; deciphered from cuneiform inscriptions
Lycian - an Anatolian language
Lydian - an Anatolian language
Palaic - an Anatolian language
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.