Andromeda(redirected from Andromeda (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Greek Mythology The daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia and wife of Perseus, who had rescued her from a sea monster.
2. A constellation in the Northern Hemisphere between Lacerta and Perseus and south of Cassiopeia. It contains a large spiral galaxy visible to the naked eye. The spiral is 2.4 million light years from Earth.
[Latin, from Greek Andromedē.]
Any of several evergreen shrubs of the genera Pieris or Andromeda in the heath family.
(Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth the daughter of Cassiopeia and wife of Perseus, who saved her from a sea monster
n, Latin genitive Andromedae (ænˈdrɒmɪˌdiː)
(Astronomy) a constellation in the N hemisphere lying between Cassiopeia and Pegasus, the three brightest stars being of the second magnitude. It contains the Andromeda Galaxy a spiral galaxy 2.2 million light years away
An•drom•e•da(ænˈdrɒm ɪ də)
n. gen. -dae (-ˌdi)
1. (in Greek myth) the daughter of Cassiopeia and wife of Perseus, by whom she had been rescued from a sea monster.
2. a northern constellation between Pisces and Cassiopeia.
3. (l.c.) any of several flowering evergreen shrubs of the genera Andromeda and Pieris, of the heath family.
A constellation in the Northern Hemisphere near Perseus and Pegasus. It contains a spiral-shaped galaxy visible to the unaided eye.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||andromeda - broad-leaved evergreen Asiatic shrub with glossy leaves and drooping clusters of white flowers|
|2.||andromeda - any of several shrubs of the genus Andromeda having leathery leaves and clusters of small flowers|
genus Andromeda - low-growing shrubs of northern regions of northern hemisphere
Andromeda glaucophylla, bog rosemary, moorwort - wiry evergreen shrub having pendent clusters of white or pink flowers; of wet acidic areas in Arctic and Canada to northeastern United States
Andromeda polifolia, common bog rosemary, marsh andromeda - erect to procumbent evergreen shrub having pendent clusters of white or pink flowers; of sphagnum peat bogs and other wet acidic areas in northern Europe
|3.||Andromeda - (Greek mythology) an Ethiopian princess and daughter of Cassiopeia; she was fastened to a rock and exposed to a sea monster that was sent by Poseidon, but she was rescued by Perseus and became his wife|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
|4.||Andromeda - a constellation in the northern hemisphere between Cassiopeia and Pegasus; contains the Andromeda galaxy|