taxis(redirected from Anemotaxis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Anemotaxis: rheotaxis
n. pl. tax·es (tăk′sēz)
1. Biology The responsive movement of a free-moving organism or cell toward or away from an external stimulus, such as light.
2. Medicine The moving of a body part by manipulation into normal position, as after a dislocation, fracture, or hernia.
[Greek, arrangement, from tassein, tag-, to arrange.]
1. (Biology) the movement of a cell or organism in a particular direction in response to an external stimulus
2. (Surgery) surgery the repositioning of a displaced organ or part by manual manipulation only
[C18: via New Latin from Greek: arrangement, from tassein to place in order]
n., pl. tax•es (ˈtæk siz)
1. arrangement or order, as in one of the physical sciences.
2. oriented movement of a motile organism in response to an external stimulus, as toward light.
3. the repositioning of a displaced body part by manipulation without cutting.
[1720–30; < New Latin < Greek táxis, derivative of tássein to arrange]
a combining form representing taxis1: chemotaxis.
The response of a protist or lower animal to directional stimulus, usually involving movement, either towards the stimulus or away from it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||taxis - a locomotor response toward or away from an external stimulus by a motile (and usually simple) organism|
response, reaction - a bodily process occurring due to the effect of some antecedent stimulus or agent; "a bad reaction to the medicine"; "his responses have slowed with age"
chemotaxis - movement by a cell or organism in reaction to a chemical stimulus
|2.||taxis - the surgical procedure of manually restoring a displaced body part|
surgical operation, surgical procedure, surgical process, surgery, operation - a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body; "they will schedule the operation as soon as an operating room is available"; "he died while undergoing surgery"
1. manipulación o reducción de una parte u órgano para llevarlo a la posición normal;
2. reflejo direccional del movimiento de un organismo en respuesta a un estímulo.