fennel(redirected from Anethum foeniculum)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A Eurasian plant (Foeniculum vulgare) in the parsley family, having pinnate leaves and clusters of small yellow flowers grouped in umbels, cultivated for its aromatic seeds and edible stalks.
b. The seeds or stalks of this plant.
2. A variety of fennel whose seeds are used as flavoring. Also called sweet fennel.
3. A variety of fennel whose bulbous, celerylike stalks are eaten as a vegetable. Also called finocchio, Florence fennel.
4. See giant fennel.
[Middle English fenel, from Old English fenol, from Latin fēnuculum, variant of faeniculum, diminutive of faenum, fēnum, hay; see dhē(i)- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. (Plants) a strong-smelling yellow-flowered umbelliferous plant, Foeniculum vulgare, whose seeds and feathery leaves are used to season and flavour food. See also finocchio
2. (Plants) another name for mayweed
[Old English fenol, from Latin faeniculum fennel, diminutive of faenum hay]
1. a plant, Foeniculum vulgare, of the parsley family, having aromatic feathery leaves and umbels of small yellow flowers.
2. Also called fen′nel seed`. the aromatic aniselike fruit of this plant.
[before 900; Middle English fenel, Old English fenol « L fēniculum=faeni- (comb. form of faenum hay) + -culum -cle1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fennel - any of several aromatic herbs having edible seeds and leaves and stems|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
Foeniculum, genus Foeniculum - very small genus of aromatic European herbs with pinnately compound leaves and yellow flowers
common fennel, Foeniculum vulgare - strongly aromatic with a smell of aniseed; leaves and seeds used for seasoning
|2.||fennel - aromatic bulbous stem base eaten cooked or raw in salads|
veg, vegetable, veggie - edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant
|3.||fennel - leaves used for seasoning|
herb - aromatic potherb used in cookery for its savory qualities
|4.||fennel - fennel seeds are ground and used as a spice or as an ingredient of a spice mixture|
spice - any of a variety of pungent aromatic vegetable substances used for flavoring food
cây thì là tây
fennel[ˈfenl] N → hinojo m
fennel[ˈfɛnəl] n → fenouil m
n (Bot) → Fenchel m