Also found in: Wikipedia.
Related to Anglo: Anglo american
n. pl. An·glos
1. An Anglo-American.
2. An English-speaking person, especially a white North American who is not of Hispanic or French ancestry.
[Short for Anglo-American.]
Usage Note: In contemporary American usage, Anglo is used primarily in distinguishing a white English-speaking person from a person of Hispanic heritage. In this context it is not limited to persons of English ancestry, but can be generally applied to any non-Hispanic white person. Thus in parts of the United States with large Hispanic populations, an American of Polish, Irish, or German heritage might be termed an Anglo just as readily as a person of English ancestry. However, in parts of the country where the Hispanic community is small, or in areas where ethnic distinctions among European groups remain strong, Anglo has little currency as a general term for non-Hispanic whites. · Anglo is also used in non-Hispanic contexts. In Canada, where its usage dates at least to 1800, the distinction is between persons of English and French ancestry. And in American historical contexts Anglo is normally used more strictly to refer to persons of English heritage.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -glos
1. US a White inhabitant of the United States who is not of Latin extraction
2. Austral an Australian of Anglo-Celtic descent
3. Canadian an English-speaking Canadian, esp one of Anglo-Celtic origin; an Anglo-Canadian
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -glos,
1. a white American of non-Hispanic descent.
2. a Canadian whose first language is English, as distinguished from French-speaking Canadians.
4. of or pertaining to Anglos.
a combining form of English: Anglo-Norman; Anglo-Catholic.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Anglo[ˈæŋgləʊ] N → blanco/a m/f, americano/a m/f (de origen no hispano)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005