Angora(redirected from Angora fabric)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
An·go·ra 1(ăng-gôr′ə, ăng′gər-ə)
1. often angora
a. The hair of the Angora goat or of the Angora rabbit. Also called Angora wool.
b. A yarn or fabric made from either of these kinds of hair.
2. An Angora cat.
3. An Angora goat.
4. An Angora rabbit.
[After Angora (Ankara), Turkey.]
n (sometimes capital)
a. the long soft hair of the outer coat of the Angora goat or the fur of the Angora rabbit
b. yarn, cloth, or clothing made from this hair
c. a material made to resemble this yarn or cloth
d. (as modifier): an angora sweater. See also mohair
2. (Textiles) a material made to resemble this yarn or cloth
3. (Textiles) (as modifier): an angora sweater. See also mohair
[from angora, former name of Ankara, in Turkey]
An•go•ra(æŋˈgɔr ə, -ˈgoʊr ə, æn-)
n., pl. -ras,
1. Also called Ango′ra cat′.
a. one of a breed of longhaired domestic cats with a long body and a wedge-shaped head, raised orig. in Turkey.
b. any longhaired domestic cat.
2. (often l.c.) Also called Ango′ra wool′. the hair of the Angora goat or of the Angora rabbit.
3. (often l.c.) yarn, fabric, or a garment made from this.
4. former name of Ankara.
5. Also called Ango′ra goat′. a variety of domestic goat having long, silky hair called mohair.
6. Also called Ango′ra rab′bit. one of a breed of European rabbits raised for its long, silky hair.adj.
7. (usu. l.c.) made from a yarn or fabric of Angora goat or Angora rabbit hair: an angora hat.
[1825–35; earlier form of Ankara]
angora- As in cat, goat, and rabbit, it comes from the Turkish capital Angora (till 1930), now Ankara.
See also related terms for rabbits.
The long soft hair of the angora goat or the fur of the angora rabbit, or a fabric made from these.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Angora - the capital of Turkey; located in west-central Turkey; it was formerly known as Angora and is the home of Angora goats|
|2.||Angora - a domestic breed of goat raised for its long silky hair which is the true mohair|
|3.||Angora - domestic breed of rabbit with long white silky hair|
|4.||Angora - a long-haired breed of cat similar to the Persian cat|
1. adj → d'angora
2. n → angora