chinchilla(redirected from Animals,chinchilla)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. Either of two rodents of the genus Chinchilla that are native to the mountains of South America and are widely raised in captivity for their soft, pale gray fur.
b. The fur of either of these animals.
2. A thick twilled cloth of wool and cotton used for overcoats.
[Spanish, probably of Aymara origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) a small gregarious hystricomorph rodent, Chinchilla laniger, inhabiting mountainous regions of South America: family Chinchillidae. It has a stocky body and is bred in captivity for its soft silvery grey fur
2. (Textiles) the highly valued fur of this animal
3. (Animals) mountain chinchilla mountain viscacha any of several long-tailed rodents of the genus Lagidium, having coarse poor quality fur
4. (Breeds) a breed of rabbit with soft silver-grey fur
5. (Textiles) a thick napped woollen cloth used for coats
[C17: from Spanish, perhaps from Aymara]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -las.
1. a small South American rodent, Chinchilla laniger, raised for its silvery gray fur.
2. this fur.
3. a woolen coat fabric with a curly nap.
[1595–1605; < Sp, perhaps =chinche chinch + -illa diminutive suffix < Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chinchilla - the expensive silvery grey fur of the chinchilla|
|2.||chinchilla - a thick twilled fabric of wool and cotton|
coating - a heavy fabric suitable for coats
|3.||chinchilla - small rodent with soft pearly grey fur; native to the Andes but bred in captivity for fur|
gnawer, rodent - relatively small placental mammals having a single pair of constantly growing incisor teeth specialized for gnawing
genus Chinchilla - type genus of the Chinchillidae
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
chinchilla[tʃɪnˈtʃɪlə] N → chinchilla f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
chinchilla[tʃɪnˈtʃɪlə] n → cincillà m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995