bot(redirected from Annoybot)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
bot 1also bott (bŏt)
1. The parasitic larva of a botfly.
2. bots(used with a sing. or pl. verb) A disease of mammals, especially cattle and horses, caused by infestation of the stomach or intestines with botfly larvae.
[Middle English, probably of Low German origin.]
1. A software program, such as a spider, that performs automated tasks on the internet.
2. A software program that imitates the behavior of a human, as in participating in chatroom or IRC discussions.
3. Informal A robot.
[Short for robot.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) the larva of a botfly, which typically develops inside the body of a horse, sheep, or human
2. (Animals) any similar larva
3. (Pathology) informal NZ a mild illness in humans
[C15: probably from Low German; related to Dutch bot, of obscure origin]
1. to scrounge or borrow
2. (often foll by: on) to scrounge (from); impose (on)
3. a scrounger
4. on the bot wanting to scrounge: he's on the bot for a cigarette.
[C20: perhaps from botfly, alluding to the creature's bite; see bite (sense 12)]
(Computer Science) computing an autonomous computer program that performs time-consuming tasks, esp on the internet
[C20: from (ro)bot]
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Board of Trade
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
the larva of a botfly.
[1425–75; late Middle English]
a device or piece of software that can execute commands or perform routine tasks, as electronic searches, usually without user intervention (often used in combination): intelligent infobots; shopping bots.
[1985–90; shortening of robot]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: botted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bot - botfly larva; typically develops inside the body of a horse or sheep or human|
larva - the immature free-living form of most invertebrates and amphibians and fish which at hatching from the egg is fundamentally unlike its parent and must metamorphose
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.