antedate(redirected from Ante dating)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial.
tr.v. an·te·dat·ed, an·te·dat·ing, an·te·dates
1. To be of an earlier date than; precede in time.
a. To assign to a date earlier than that of the actual occurrence.
b. To date as of a time before that of actual execution: antedate a contract; antedate a check.
A date given to an event or a document that is earlier than the actual date.
1. to be or occur at an earlier date than
2. to affix a date to (a document, etc) that is earlier than the actual date
3. to assign a date to (an event, etc) that is earlier than its previously assigned date
4. to cause to occur sooner
an earlier date
an•te•date(v. ˈæn tɪˌdeɪt, ˌæn tɪˈdeɪt; n. ˈæn tɪˌdeɪt)
v. -dat•ed, -dat•ing,
1. to be of older date than; precede in time.
3. to assign to an earlier date: to antedate a historical event.
4. to cause to happen sooner; accelerate.
5. Archaic. to take or have in advance; anticipate.n.
6. a prior date.
Past participle: antedated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||antedate - be earlier in time; go back further; "Stone tools precede bronze tools"|
|2.||antedate - establish something as being earlier relative to something else|