anthropoid(redirected from Anthropoides)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Anthropoides: Anthropoides virgo
1. Of or belonging to the primate suborder Anthropoidea, which consists of the New World monkeys, Old World monkeys, and apes including humans.
2. Resembling a human, especially in shape or outward appearance.
3. Resembling or characteristic of a nonhuman ape; apelike: an anthropoid forehead.
A primate of the suborder Anthropoidea.
an′thro·poi′dal (-poid′l) adj.
1. resembling man
2. resembling an ape; apelike
3. (Zoology) of or relating to the suborder Anthropoidea
(Animals) any primate of the suborder Anthropoidea, including monkeys, apes, and man. Compare prosimian
1. resembling humans.
2. resembling an ape; apelike.
3. belonging or pertaining to the primate suborder Anthropoidea, characterized by a relatively flat face, dry nose, small immobile ears, and forward-facing eyes and comprising humans, apes, Old World monkeys, and New World monkeys. Compare prosimian.n.
a creature resembling man, as an ape. — anthropoid, anthropoidal, adj.See also: Animals
a creature resembling man, as an ape. — anthropoid, — anthropoidal, adj.See also: Mankind
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||anthropoid - person who resembles a nonhuman primate|
misfit - someone unable to adapt to their circumstances
|2.||anthropoid - any member of the suborder Anthropoidea including monkeys and apes and hominids|
primate - any placental mammal of the order Primates; has good eyesight and flexible hands and feet
|Adj.||1.||anthropoid - resembling apes |
nonhuman - not human; not belonging to or produced by or appropriate to human beings; "nonhuman primates such as chimpanzees"
|2.||anthropoid - resembling human beings |
human - having human form or attributes as opposed to those of animals or divine beings; "human beings"; "the human body"; "human kindness"; "human frailty"