ana(redirected from Antinuclear Antibody Test)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Antinuclear Antibody Test: Lupus
an·a 1(ăn′ə, ä′nə)
n. pl. ana or an·as
1. A collection of various materials that reflect the character of a person or place: definitive ana of the early American West.
2. An item in such a collection.
[From New Latin -āna, as in titles of such collections; see -ana.]
Both in the same quantity; of each. Used to refer to ingredients in prescriptions.
(Pharmacology) pharmacol obsolete (of ingredients in a prescription) in equal quantities. Abbreviation: aa
[C16: via Medieval Latin from Greek: of every one similarly]
1. a collection of reminiscences, sketches, etc, of or about a person or place
2. an item of or for such a collection
[C18: independent use of -ana]
a. a name for anorexia, esp when used as a personification of the disease by its sufferers
b. a person who identifies himself or herself as an anorexic
[C21: a play on the word anorexia and the girl's name Anna]
(Commerce) Article Number Association: (in Britain) an organization of manufacturers, retailers, and wholesalers that provides a system (article numbering) by which a product is identified by a unique machine-readable number compatible with article-numbering systems used in other countries
an•a(ˈæn ə, ˈɑ nə)
1. a collection of miscellaneous information about a subject, person, place, or thing.
2. an item in such a collection, as an anecdote.
[1720–30; independent use of -ana]
a prefix occurring orig. in verbs and verbal derivatives borrowed from Greek, usu. denoting upward or backward motion ( anadromous), completion ( analysis; anatomy), or repetition (anamorphosis).Also, before a vowel, an-.
[< Greek, comb. form of aná]
a suffix that forms collective nouns denoting an assembly of items representative of or associated with the place, person, or period named by the stem: Americana; Shakespeareana; Victoriana.
[< Latin, neuter pl. of -ānus -an1]
1. American Newspaper Association.
2. American Nurses Association.
3. Association of National Advertisers.
a collection of memoirs, anecdotes, etc.; a miscellany.See also: Collections and Collecting
Anaa collection of the sayings of a person, 1727; literary gossip.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ana - mother of the ancient Irish gods; sometimes identified with Danu|
antiquity - the historic period preceding the Middle Ages in Europe
|2.||ana - a collection of anecdotes about a person or place|