apical(redirected from Apical ectodermal ridge)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, located at, or constituting an apex.
2. Linguistics Of, relating to, or articulated with the tip of the tongue, as (t), (d), and (s).
[From Latin apex, apic-, top.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. of, at, or being the apex
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) of or denoting a consonant articulated with the tip of the tongue, such as (t) or (d)
[C19: from New Latin apicālis, from Latin: apex]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a•pi•cal(ˈeɪ pɪ kəl, ˈæp ɪ-)
1. of, at, or forming the apex.
2. (of a speech sound) articulated principally with the tip of the tongue, as (t) or (d).
[1820–30; < Latin apic-, s. of apex apex]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.