Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Greek Mythology Of or relating to Apollo or his cult.
2. often apollonian
a. Characterized by clarity, harmony, and restraint.
b. In the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, of or embodying the power of critical reason as opposed to the creative-intuitive.
3. often apollonian Serenely high-minded; noble.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) of or relating to Apollo or the cult of Apollo
2. (Philosophy) (sometimes not capital) (in the philosophy of Nietzsche) denoting or relating to the set of static qualities that encompass form, reason, harmony, sobriety, etc
3. (often not capital) harmonious; serene; ordered
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ap•ol•lo•ni•an(ˌæp əˈloʊ ni ən)
1. of or pertaining to Apollo or his cult.
2. (l.c.) serene, calm, or well-balanced.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.