Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of a Semitic people inhabiting Arabia, whose language and Islamic religion spread widely throughout the Middle East and northern Africa from the seventh century.
2. A member of an Arabic-speaking people.
3. An Arabian horse.
[French Arabe, from Latin Arabs, from Greek Araps, Arab-, from Arabic 'arab.]
1. (Peoples) a member of a Semitic people originally inhabiting Arabia, who spread throughout the Middle East, N Africa, and Spain during the seventh and eighth centuries ad
2. (Breeds) a lively intelligent breed of horse, mainly used for riding
3. (Peoples) (modifier) of or relating to the Arabs: the Arab nations.
[C14: from Latin Arabs, from Greek Araps, from Arabic `Arab]
1. a member of an Arabic-speaking people or citizen of an Arabic-speaking nation.
2. a member of a Semitic people inhabiting since ancient times the Arabian Peninsula and the desert fringes of Mesopotamia and the Levant: after a.d. 632, spreading throughout SW Asia and N Africa.
4. of or pertaining to Arabs.
[1625–35; back formation from Latin Arabs (taken as pl.) < Greek]
pron: The pronunciation of Arab with an initial (ā) sound and secondary stress on the second syllable is sometimes used facetiously or disparagingly and is usually considered offensive.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Arab - a member of a Semitic people originally from the Arabian peninsula and surrounding territories who speaks Arabic and who inhabits much of the Middle East and northern Africa|
Arabia, Arabian Peninsula - a peninsula between the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf; strategically important for its oil resources
Semite - a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
Omani - a native or inhabitant of Oman
Yemeni - a native or inhabitant of Yemen
Saracen - (when used broadly) any Arab
|2.||Arab - a spirited graceful and intelligent riding horse native to Arabia|
người Arabthuộc Arab