Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A large desert occupying most of the interior of the Arabian Peninsula and extending north into Jordan and Iraq.
2. See Eastern Desert.
1. (Placename) a desert in E Egypt, between the Nile, the Gulf of Suez, and the Red Sea: mountainous parts rise over 1800 m (6000 ft). Area: about 220 000 sq km (85 000 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a desert, mainly in Saudi Arabia, forming the desert area of the Arabian Peninsula, esp in the north. Area: about 2 330 000 sq km (900 000 sq miles)
1. a desert in Egypt between the Nile valley and the Red Sea. ab. 80,000 sq. mi. (207,000 sq. km).
2. the desert region in the N part of the Arabian Peninsula.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Arabian Desert - a desert in Egypt between the Nile River and the Red Sea|
Arab Republic of Egypt, Egypt, United Arab Republic - a republic in northeastern Africa known as the United Arab Republic until 1971; site of an ancient civilization that flourished from 2600 to 30 BC
|2.||Arabian Desert - a desert on the Arabian Peninsula in southwestern Asia|
Arabia, Arabian Peninsula - a peninsula between the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf; strategically important for its oil resources
Nubian Desert - an arid sandstone plateau in northeastern Sudan between the Nile and the Red Sea
Syrian Desert - a desert of northern Arabia occupying western Iraq, southern Syria, eastern Jordan, and northern Saudi Arabia