Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A large desert occupying most of the interior of the Arabian Peninsula and extending north into Jordan and Iraq.
2. See Eastern Desert.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a desert in E Egypt, between the Nile, the Gulf of Suez, and the Red Sea: mountainous parts rise over 1800 m (6000 ft). Area: about 220 000 sq km (85 000 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a desert, mainly in Saudi Arabia, forming the desert area of the Arabian Peninsula, esp in the north. Area: about 2 330 000 sq km (900 000 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a desert in Egypt between the Nile valley and the Red Sea. ab. 80,000 sq. mi. (207,000 sq. km).
2. the desert region in the N part of the Arabian Peninsula.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Arabian Desert - a desert in Egypt between the Nile River and the Red Sea|
Arab Republic of Egypt, Egypt, United Arab Republic - a republic in northeastern Africa known as the United Arab Republic until 1971; site of an ancient civilization that flourished from 2600 to 30 BC
|2.||Arabian Desert - a desert on the Arabian Peninsula in southwestern Asia|
Arabia, Arabian Peninsula - a peninsula between the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf; strategically important for its oil resources
Nubian Desert - an arid sandstone plateau in northeastern Sudan between the Nile and the Red Sea
Syrian Desert - a desert of northern Arabia occupying western Iraq, southern Syria, eastern Jordan, and northern Saudi Arabia
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
the Arabian Desert → le désert d'ArabieArabian Gulf n
the Arabian Gulf → le golfe Persique
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995