arabesque(redirected from Arabic Art)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Arabic Art: Arabic alphabet
1. A ballet position executed while standing on one straight leg with one arm extended forward and the other arm and leg extended backward.
2. A complex, ornate design of intertwined floral, foliate, and geometric figures.
3. Music An ornate, whimsical composition especially for piano.
4. An intricate or elaborate pattern or design: "the complex arabesque of a camera movement" (Nigel Andrews).
In the fashion of or formed as an arabesque.
[French, from Italian arabesco, in Arabian fashion, from Arabo, an Arab, from Latin Arabus, from Arabs; see Arab.]
1. (Ballet) ballet a classical position in which the dancer has one leg raised behind and both arms stretched out in one of several conventional poses
2. (Classical Music) music a piece or movement with a highly ornamented or decorated melody
3. (Art Terms) arts
a. a type of curvilinear decoration in painting, metalwork, etc, with intricate intertwining leaf, flower, animal, or geometrical designs
b. a design of flowing lines
4. (Ballet) designating, of, or decorated in this style
5. (Art Terms) designating, of, or decorated in this style
6. (Classical Music) designating, of, or decorated in this style
[C18: from French, from Italian arabesco in the Arabic style]
1. an ornamental style in which linear flowers, foliage, fruits, animals, and designs are represented in intricate patterns.
2. a pose in ballet in which the dancer stands on one leg with one arm extended in front and the other leg and arm extended behind.
3. a fanciful musical piece.
[1605–15; < French < Italian arabesco ornament in Islamic style, literally, Arabian]
1. A pose as though poised for flight, supported on one leg, the other extended backward and the arms disposed harmoniously, usually with the greatest reach.
2. An ornate musical passage.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||arabesque - position in which the dancer has one leg raised behind and arms outstretched in a conventional pose|
ballet position - classical position of the body and especially the feet in ballet
|2.||arabesque - an ornament that interlaces simulated foliage in an intricate design|