Arab(redirected from Arabs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Arabs: Arab culture
1. A member of a Semitic people inhabiting Arabia, whose language and Islamic religion spread widely throughout the Middle East and northern Africa from the seventh century.
2. A member of an Arabic-speaking people.
3. An Arabian horse.
[French Arabe, from Latin Arabs, from Greek Araps, Arab-, from Arabic 'arab.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of a Semitic people originally inhabiting Arabia, who spread throughout the Middle East, N Africa, and Spain during the seventh and eighth centuries ad
2. (Breeds) a lively intelligent breed of horse, mainly used for riding
3. (Peoples) (modifier) of or relating to the Arabs: the Arab nations.
[C14: from Latin Arabs, from Greek Araps, from Arabic `Arab]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a member of an Arabic-speaking people or citizen of an Arabic-speaking nation.
2. a member of a Semitic people inhabiting since ancient times the Arabian Peninsula and the desert fringes of Mesopotamia and the Levant: after a.d. 632, spreading throughout SW Asia and N Africa.
4. of or pertaining to Arabs.
[1625–35; back formation from Latin Arabs (taken as pl.) < Greek]
pron: The pronunciation of Arab with an initial (ā) sound and secondary stress on the second syllable is sometimes used facetiously or disparagingly and is usually considered offensive.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Arab - a member of a Semitic people originally from the Arabian peninsula and surrounding territories who speaks Arabic and who inhabits much of the Middle East and northern Africa|
Arabia, Arabian Peninsula - a peninsula between the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf; strategically important for its oil resources
Semite - a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
Omani - a native or inhabitant of Oman
Yemeni - a native or inhabitant of Yemen
Saracen - (when used broadly) any Arab
|2.||Arab - a spirited graceful and intelligent riding horse native to Arabia|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
người Arabthuộc Arab
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Arab→ عَرَبِيّ Arab, arabský araber, arabisk Araber, arabisch Άραβας, αραβικός árabe arabi, arabialainen arabe Arapin, arapski arabo アラビアの, アラビア人 아랍 사람, 아랍의 Arabier, Arabisch araber, arabisk Arab, arabski árabe араб, арабский arab, arabisk เกี่ยวกับชาวอาหรับ, ชาวอาหรับ Arap người Arab, thuộc Arab 阿拉伯人, 阿拉伯的
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009