Wellington(redirected from Archdiocese of Wellington)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
The capital of New Zealand, on an inlet of Cook Strait in extreme southern North Island. It was founded in 1840 and supplanted Auckland as capital in 1865.
Wellington, First Duke of Title of Arthur Wellesley. Known as "the Iron Duke." 1769-1852.
British general and politician. Commander of British troops during the Peninsular War (1808-1814), he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo (1815), thus ending the Napoleonic Wars. As prime minister (1828-1830) he passed the Catholic Emancipation Act (1829).
1. (Placename) an administrative district, formerly a province, of New Zealand, on SW North Island: major livestock producer in New Zealand. Capital: Wellington. Pop: 492 500 (2013 est). Area: 28 153 sq km (10 870 sq miles)
2. (Placename) the capital city of New Zealand. Its port, historically Port Nicholson, on Wellington Harbour has a car and rail ferry link between the North and South Islands; university (1899). Pop: 204 000 (2013 est)
(Biography) 1st Duke of, title of Arthur Wellesley. 1769–1852, British soldier and statesman; prime minister (1828–30). He was given command of the British forces against the French in the Peninsular War (1808–14) and routed Napoleon at Waterloo (1815)
Wel•ling•ton(ˈwɛl ɪŋ tən)
1. 1st Duke of (Arthur Wellesley), 1769–1852, British general and statesman, born in Ireland: prime minister 1828–30.
2. the capital of New Zealand, on S North Island. 331,100.
3. (sometimes l.c.) Wellington boot.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Wellington - British general and statesman; he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo; subsequently served as Prime Minister (1769-1852)|
|2.||Wellington - the capital of New Zealand |
New Zealand - an independent country within the British Commonwealth; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1907; known for sheep and spectacular scenery
|3.||Wellington - (19th century) a man's high tasseled boot|
boot - footwear that covers the whole foot and lower leg
Wellington[ˈwɛlɪŋtən] n → Wellington
in Wellington → à Wellington
to Wellington → à Wellington
n (Brit) → Gummistiefel m