Arcadia(redirected from Arkadians)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Arkadians: Arcadians
Ar·ca·di·a 1(är-kā′dē-ə) also Ar·ca·dy (är′kə-dē)
A region of ancient Greece in the Peloponnesus. Its relatively isolated inhabitants proverbially lived a simple, pastoral life.
Ar·ca·di·a 2also ar·ca·di·a (är-kā′dē-ə)
A region offering rural simplicity and contentment.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a department of Greece, in the central Peloponnese. Capital: Tripolis. Pop: 91 326 (2001). Area: 4367 sq km (1686 sq miles)
2. (Placename) Also called (poetic): Arcady the traditional idealized rural setting of Greek and Roman bucolic poetry and later in the literature of the Renaissance
3. (Poetry) Also called (poetic): Arcady the traditional idealized rural setting of Greek and Roman bucolic poetry and later in the literature of the Renaissance
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ar•ca•di•a(ɑrˈkeɪ di ə)
1. a mountainous region of ancient Greece in the central Peloponnesus: traditionally represented in literature as a place of pastoral innocence and contentment.
2. any real or imaginary place offering peace and simplicity.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Arcadia - a department of Greece in the central Peloponnese|
Ellas, Greece, Hellenic Republic - a republic in southeastern Europe on the southern part of the Balkan peninsula; known for grapes and olives and olive oil
Arcadian - an inhabitant of Arcadia
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Arcadia[ɑːˈkeɪdɪə] N → Arcadia f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Arkadien nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Arcadia[ɑːˈkeɪdɪə] n → Arcadia
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995