Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Armstrong: Neil Armstrong
Arm·strong(ärm′strông′), Edwin Howard 1890-1954.
American engineer and inventor whose improvements to radio communication included the development of frequency modulation (1933).
Armstrong, Lance Born 1971.
American cyclist who won the Tour de France seven consecutive times (1999-2005) but was stripped of those titles in 2012 after evidence of performance-enhancing drug use was uncovered.
Armstrong, Louis Known as "Satchmo." 1901-1971.
American jazz musician. A virtuoso trumpeter and popular, gravelly voiced singer, he greatly influenced the development of jazz.
Armstrong, Neil Alden 1930-2012.
American astronaut who as commander of Apollo 11 became the first person to walk on the moon (July 20, 1969).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Edwin Howard. 1890–1954, US electrical engineer; invented the superheterodyne radio receiver and the FM radio
2. (Biography) (Daniel) Louis, known as Satchmo. 1900–71, US jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and singer
3. (Biography) Gillian. born 1950, Australian film director; her films include My Brilliant Career (1978), Little Women (1994), and Charlotte Gray (2001)
4. (Biography) Neil (Alden). 1930–2012, US astronaut; commanded Apollo 11 on the first manned lunar landing during which he became the first man to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969
5. (Biography) Lance. born 1971, US cyclist, winner of 7 Tour de France titles, 1999–2005; stripped of the titles in 2012 and banned for life, having been found to have used banned substances
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (Daniel) Louis ( “Satchmo” ), 1900–71, U.S. jazz trumpeter.
2. Edwin Howard, 1890–1954, U.S. electrical engineer: developed frequency modulation.
3. Neil A., born 1930, U.S. astronaut: first person to walk on the moon, July 20, 1969.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Armstrong - United States astronaut; the first man to set foot on the Moon (July 20, 1969) (1930-)|
|2.||Armstrong - United States pioneering jazz trumpeter and bandleader (1900-1971)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.