arrondissement(redirected from Arrondissment)
Also found in: Financial.
1. The chief administrative subdivision of a department in France.
2. A municipal subdivision in some large French cities.
[French, from Old French, rounded projection on a wall, from arrondir, arrondiss-, to round out : a, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + rondir, to make round (from rond, round; see round1).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(in France) n
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the largest administrative subdivision of a department
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a municipal district of certain cities, esp Paris
[C19: from arrondir to make round, from ab-1 + -rondir from rond round]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ar•ron•disse•ment(əˈrɒn dɪs mənt, ˌær ənˈdis-; Fr. a rɔ̃ disˈmɑ̃)
n., pl. -ments (-mənts; Fr. -ˈmɑ̃)
1. the largest administrative division of a French department, comprising a number of cantons.
2. an administrative district of certain large cities in France.
[1800–10; < French, =arrondiss-, variant s. of arrondir to round out (see a-5, round1) + -ment -ment]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.