Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A legendary British hero, said to have been king of the Britons in the sixth century ad and to have held court at Camelot.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (European Myth & Legend) a legendary king of the Britons in the sixth century ad, who led Celtic resistance against the Saxons: possibly based on a historical figure; represented as leader of the Knights of the Round Table at Camelot
2. (Biography) Chester Alan. 1830–86, 21st president of the US (1881–85)
3. not know whether one is Arthur or Martha informal Austral and NZ to be in a state of confusion
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Chester Alan, 1830–86, 21st president of the U.S. 1881–85.
2. a legendary king of Britain, whose life was based on the exploits of one or more historical figures of the 6th century a.d.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Arthur - elected vice president and became 21st President of the United States when Garfield was assassinated (1830-1886)|
|2.||Arthur - a legendary king of the Britons (possibly based on a historical figure in the 6th century but the story has been retold too many times to be sure); said to have led the Knights of the Round Table at Camelot|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Arthur[ˈɑːθəʳ] n King Arthur → re Artù
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995