Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to Assam or its people, language, or culture.
n. pl. Assamese
a. A native or inhabitant of Assam.
b. A person of Assamese ancestry.
2. The Indic language of the Assamese.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) the state language of Assam, belonging to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family and closely related to Bengali
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Assam
3. (Peoples) of or relating to Assam, its people, or their language
4. (Placename) of or relating to Assam, its people, or their language
5. (Languages) of or relating to Assam, its people, or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
As•sa•mese(ˌæs əˈmiz, -ˈmis)
n., pl. -mese,
1. an Indo-Aryan language spoken in Assam.
2. a native or inhabitant of Assam, esp. a native speaker of Assamese.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Assam, the Assamese, or the Indo-Aryan language of Assam.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Assamese - native or inhabitant of the state of Assam in northeastern India|
Indian - a native or inhabitant of India
|2.||Assamese - the Magadhan language spoken by the Assamese people; closely related to Bengali|
Magadhan - a subfamily of Indic languages
|Adj.||1.||Assamese - of or relating to or characteristic of Assam or its people or culture or language|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.