Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to Assam or its people, language, or culture.
n. pl. Assamese
a. A native or inhabitant of Assam.
b. A person of Assamese ancestry.
2. The Indic language of the Assamese.
1. (Languages) the state language of Assam, belonging to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family and closely related to Bengali
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Assam
3. (Peoples) of or relating to Assam, its people, or their language
4. (Placename) of or relating to Assam, its people, or their language
5. (Languages) of or relating to Assam, its people, or their language
As•sa•mese(ˌæs əˈmiz, -ˈmis)
n., pl. -mese,
1. an Indo-Aryan language spoken in Assam.
2. a native or inhabitant of Assam, esp. a native speaker of Assamese.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Assam, the Assamese, or the Indo-Aryan language of Assam.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Assamese - native or inhabitant of the state of Assam in northeastern India|
Indian - a native or inhabitant of India
|2.||Assamese - the Magadhan language spoken by the Assamese people; closely related to Bengali|
Magadhan - a subfamily of Indic languages
|Adj.||1.||Assamese - of or relating to or characteristic of Assam or its people or culture or language|