atlas(redirected from Atlas (cartography))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Greek Mythology A Titan condemned by Zeus to support the heavens upon his shoulders.
2. atlas A person who supports a great burden.
n. pl. at·las·es
1. A book or bound collection of maps, sometimes with supplementary illustrations and graphic analyses.
2. A volume of tables, charts, or plates that systematically illustrates a particular subject: an anatomical atlas.
3. A large size of drawing paper, measuring 26 × 33 or 26 × 34 inches.
4. pl. at·lan·tes (ăt-lăn′tēz) Architecture A standing or kneeling figure of a man used as a supporting column, as for an entablature or balcony. Also called telamon.
5. Anatomy The top or first cervical vertebra of the neck, which supports the skull.
[After Atlas. Sense 1, probably from depictions of Atlas holding the world on his shoulders that appeared on the frontispieces of early works of this kind.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Journalism & Publishing) a collection of maps, usually in book form
2. (Journalism & Publishing) a book of charts, graphs, etc, illustrating aspects of a subject: an anatomical atlas.
3. (Anatomy) anatomy the first cervical vertebra, attached to and supporting the skull in man. Compare axis1
4. (Architecture) architect another name for telamon
5. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a standard size of drawing paper, 26 × 17 inches
[C16: via Latin from Greek; first applied to maps, from depictions of Atlas supporting the heavens in 16th-century collections of maps]
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth a Titan compelled to support the sky on his shoulders as punishment for rebelling against Zeus
2. (Astronautics) a US intercontinental ballistic missile, also used in launching spacecraft
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a US intercontinental ballistic missile, also used in launching spacecraft
4. (Celestial Objects) astronomy a small satellite of Saturn, discovered in 1980
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. at•las•es for 1-3, at•lan•tes (ætˈlæn tiz)
1. a bound collection of maps.
2. a bound volume of charts, plates, or tables illustrating any subject.
3. the first cervical vertebra, which supports the head.
[1580–90 in sense “prop, support”; as name for a collection of maps, said to be from illustrations of Atlas supporting the globe in early books of this kind]
n., pl. At•las•es.
1. a Titan, condemned by Zeus to support the sky on his shoulders.
2. a person who supports a heavy burden; mainstay.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
(or Telemon) A male statue used as a column, as in an ancient Greek temple.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Atlas - (Greek mythology) a Titan who was forced by Zeus to bear the sky on his shoulders|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
|2.||atlas - a collection of maps in book form |
book of facts, reference book, reference work, reference - a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts; "he contributed articles to the basic reference work on that topic"
gazetteer - a geographical dictionary (as at the back of an atlas)
|3.||atlas - the 1st cervical vertebra|
|4.||atlas - a figure of a man used as a supporting column|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
tập bản đồ
B. CPD the Atlas Mountains NPL → los Atlas
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
atlas[ˈætləs] n (= book of maps) → atlas m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Atlas m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a book of maps. My atlas is out of date. atlas أطْلَس атлас atlas atlas der Atlas atlas γεωγραφικός άτ��ας atlas atlas اطلس karttakirja atlasאטלס मानचित्रावली atlas atlasz buku peta, atlas atlas, landakortabók atlante 地図帳 지도책 atlasas atlants buku peta atlas atlasatlas اطلس atlas atlas атлас atlas atlas atlas atlas หนังสือแผนที่ atlas 地圖集 атлас دنیا ککا نقشہ sách bản đồ 地图册
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
atlas→ أَطْلَس atlas atlas Atlas άτλας atlas kartasto atlas atlas atlante 地図帳 지도책 atlas atlas atlas atlas атлас atlas สมุดแผนที่ atlas tập bản đồ 地图集
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009