Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of eastern Georgia on the South Carolina border north-northwest of Savannah. It is a popular resort known especially for its golf tournaments.
2. The capital of Maine, in the southwest part of the state on the Kennebec River north-northeast of Portland. A trading post was established here in 1628.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a city in the US, in Georgia. Pop: 193 316 (2003 est) (including Richmond)
2. (Placename) a port in S Italy, in E Sicily. Pop: 33 820 (2001)
3. (Placename) a town in the US, in Maine: the state capital; founded (1628) as a trading post; timber industry. Pop: 18 618 (2003 est)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Au•gus•ta(ɔˈgʌs tə, əˈgʌs-)
1. a city in E Georgia, on the Savannah River. 47,532.
2. a city in and the capital of Maine, in the SW part, on the Kennebec River. 21,819.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Augusta - the capital of the state of Maine|
|2.||Augusta - a city in eastern Georgia north-northwest of Savannah; noted for golf tournaments|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.