Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to Saint Augustine of Hippo or his doctrines.
2. Being or belonging to any of several religious orders following or influenced by the rule of Saint Augustine.
1. A follower of the principles and doctrines of Saint Augustine.
2. A monk or friar belonging to any of the Augustinian orders.
Au′gus·tin′i·an·ism, Au·gus′tin·ism (ô-gŭs′tĭ-nĭz′əm) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to Saint Augustine of Hippo, his doctrines, or any of the Christian religious orders that were founded on his doctrines
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a member of any of several religious orders, such as the Augustinian Canons, Augustinian Hermits, and Austin Friars which are governed by the rule of Saint Augustine
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a person who follows the doctrines of Saint Augustine
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Au•gus•tin•i•an(ˌɔ gəˈstɪn i ən)
1. pertaining to St. Augustine of Hippo, to his doctrines, or to any religious order following his rule.n.
2. a member of any of the Roman Catholic Augustinian orders.
3. a follower of St. Augustine.
Au`gus•tin′i•an•ism, Au•gus•tin•ism (ɔˈgʌs təˌnɪz əm, əˈgʌs-) n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Augustinian - a Roman Catholic friar or monk belonging to one of the Augustinian monastic orders|
Augustinian order - any of several monastic orders observing a rule derived from the writings of St. Augustine
Austin Friar - one of the Roman Catholic hermits of Saint Augustine
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → agustino
B. N → agustino/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → Augustiner-; Augustinian monk → Augustinermönch m
n → Augustiner m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007